Wednesday, July 6, 2011

MINIMUS ILLORUM

I prefer peace and sipping iced scotch slowly
The needy are given meth and crack and dope instead
I like to focus on my own self wants solely
The Son of Man had no place to lay his head

I warm myself with Hendrix, Mozart, Creedence and Bach
Others are taught that pounding will make their misery no more
Myself is tempted the impoverished culture around me to mock
Hannah cried out that from the dust He lifts up the poor

Why should anyone deprive me of my rights? I demand
But the rights of others have been consumed long ago
Why should inconvenience between me and my desires stand?
Another asked me for my own little lusts to forgo

Comfort and safety is my class cultural birthright
Others in the darkness hope desperately for one crumb
I tend towards complacent apathetic lethargy despite
Those words ... Open thy mouth for the dumb

I’m a vast collector of enjoyable personal possessions
Tyler Durden sneers at mass-consumer seduction
I like to spend all my own resources for my own obsessions
Instead of “the cause of such as are appointed to destruction”

Comfort equals being with those most like myself
Tyler Durden thinks we’ve all been raised on television
White, uptight middle-class little boxes all stacked on a shelf
But in Him there is neither circumcision nor uncircumcision

I find it easier to fold and give and bend with no effort
It’s too hard to be a rock, shelter, refuge or tree
My time is precious and I really hate going to the desert
“Take up your cross and Follow Me”

I prefer the company of the cool crowd to the outcasts
“Behold a man gluttonous and a winebibber ...”
Being that guy with those friends makes me feel outclassed
But he lived with the fisherman, publican, prostitute, and sinner

Pleasure is a good part of God’s Creation I find
And the Holy Fathers taught against the life of ease
Yet there’s no reason why two good things can’t be combined
And He said “Inasmuch as ye do it unto the least of these ...”

I prefer peace and sipping iced scotch slowly
But there is no good reason not to share
I like to focus on the little pleasures solely
But why not strive towards teaching others to care?

No comments:

Post a Comment